Words and Sounds offers in southern Ontario a one-hour set of live music featuring the “golden classic” songs of the past that continue to be loved by people the world over to this day. “Tony G” can perform either solo, or with a duo, trio or ensemble, to please audiences that might be in a seniors’ centre, retirement residence or long-term care centre.
Tony G has experience playing music for seniors since the 1980s, when he was part of the Harmoknight music group that performed (and continues to perform) at seniors’ residences, hospitals and long-term care centres throughout the Hamilton area. Some of the venues he and the group played included the Stoney Creek Lifecare Centre, the Wellington Long-Term Care Community, the Pine Villa Residence, the Clarion Nursing Home, the Heritage Green Nursing Home, McMaster University, St. Peter’s Hospital, St. Olga’s Lifecare Centre, the Blackadar Continuing Care Centre and St. Joseph’s Villa.
More recently, Tony has brought the classic sounds of yesteryear to venues such as the Welcome Inn Seniors Support Program, the Smiles for Seniors program at Strathcona Gardens, Rosslyn Retirement and St. Joseph’s Healthcare. In addition to over 35 years of experience in the musical field in a wide range of contexts — from church services, weddings and memorial services to social events, taverns, restaurants and even the singing of national anthems prior to AHL professional hockey games at Hamilton’s FirstOntario Centre — Tony holds certificates in music from Mohawk College and the Royal Conservatory of Music.
Let him bring smiles, joy and excitement to your seniors’ with a set of music that is sure to get the crowd singing, clapping their hands and tapping their toes. Much research has shown how effective music is in slowing mental deterioration in the aged and stimulating their thought processes.
Some of the golden classics of the past Tony features include:
- All of Me – Billie Holiday
- Amazing Grace – John Newton
- Besame Mucho – Traditional
- Bicycle Built for Two – Harry Dacre
- Bill Bailey – Hughie Cannon
- Blue Skies – Irving Berlin
- Beer Barrel Polka – Jaromir Vejvoda
- Cara Mia – Jay and the Americans
- End of the World, The – Skeeter Davis
- Five Foot Two, Eyes of Blue – Ray Henderson, Sam M. Lewis and Joseph Widow Young
- Good Night, Ladies – Edwin Pearce Christy
- How Great Thou Art – Carl Gustav Boberg and Stuart K. Hine
- I Want a Girl/It’s a Long Way to Tipperary – Harry von Tilzer and William Dillon/Jack Judge
- Jamaica Farewell – Irving Burgie
- Let Me Call You Sweetheart – Leo Friedman and Beth Slater Whitson
- Love Letters in the Sand – Pat Boone
- Morning Has Broken – Eleanor Farjeon
- Sentimental Journey – Les Brown, Ben Homer and Bud Green
- She’ll Be Comin’ Around the Mountain – Traditional
- Side by Side – Gus Kahn and Harry M. Woods
- Snowbird – Gene MacLellan
- Spanish Eyes – Al Martino
- This Land is Your Land – Woody Guthrie
- Till There Was You – Meredith Willson
- Till We Meet Again – Richard A. Whiting and Raymond B. Egan
- Walkin’ My Baby Back Home – Roy Turk and Fred. E. Ahlert
- What a Wonderful World – Bob Thiele and George David Weiss
- When Irish Eyes Are Smiling/My Wild Irish Rose – Chauncey Olcott, George Graff, Jr. and Ernest Ball/Chauncey Olcott
- When You’re Smiling – Larry Shay, Mark Fisher and Joe Goodwin
- You Are My Sunshine – Jimmie Davis and Charles Mitchell
- You Are the Sunshine of My Life – Stevie Wonder
He also has a large selection of popular songs from the 1960s and 1970s for those seniors who might love to hear selections from such artists as The Beatles, Gerry and the Pacemakers, Elvis, Johnny Cash, Creedence Clearwater Revival and many more.
Here is a brief in-studio video demo of Tony performing excerpts from the songs “Side by Side,” “Won’t You Come Home Bill Bailey” and “Till We Meet Again” (rhythm guitar and voice were recorded live; bass guitar was overdubbed later):